ITS’s Business Permit Assistance program is a resource that helps prospective business owners determine the New York State permits and licenses they would need to operate a business here in New York.
Online Permit Assistance and Licensing (OPAL) is an interactive website that guides individuals and businesses through the requirements to start or expand a business in New York. Through OPAL, users can:
- Research permitting/licensing requirements for over 400 different business activities, including information on business structures, tax information and employer requirements.
- Review comprehensive profiles on over 1,200 New York business permits, licenses, and registrations.
- Create customized Easy-to-Read Packets about their business activities, including a checklist of requirements and supplemental materials that allows users to print, email or save for future reference.
- Apply online for 42 business permits/licenses with the ability to apply for multiple permits at one time, pay any fees with a single credit card payment, save incomplete applications to resume processing at a later time, and track the status of submitted online applications.
- Review our Starting a Business brochure. This brochure contains general filing information for starting a business in New York. It is a quick reference guide providing basic information on business structures, tax requirements, and employer responsibilities.
If you still have questions, Business Information Specialists are available weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to answer your business start-up questions and help you identify and obtain the NYS business licenses or permits you need to operate a business.